Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Nature Vs. Nurture


For this weeks readings and discussions I would like to talk about Malcolm Gladwells 10,000 hour theory. When thinking about this it reminded me of something I learned in Psychology, the Nature vs. Nurture theory. Which questions if we were born the way we are going to be (inherit traits) or do we learn them because of our environment. This relates because in our class discussion we debated whether it was because we were born with natural talent or learned through hard work to become successful and whatever task. I believe the answer is also similar to Psychology. I believe it’s both, being born with a natural ability always helps (genius theory) but you could also learn through hard work. Let me give you some examples. Someone who is extremely awkward, uncoordinated, and has no sense of rhythm is not going to be good at dance, yet with 10,000 hours of course they could learn however they might never be as good as someone with natural ability. At the same time someone could be horrible at math, or anthropology or a certain type of study but with 10,000 can master it. I believe it depends on the activity or genre you are trying to master. In addition to this most children are born with genes that make them good at certain things but they are never explored. If you don’t use it you loose it. However by practice and dedication you could still master that skill, even if your not necessarily good at it now. In the article Gladwell even says, “It’s certainly clear that great achievement is possible without putting in 10,000 hours of deliberate practice ”.
Of course some discoveries or brilliant people can master or accomplish things much faster but I believe the point is for those who are not genius. That they too can accomplish great things using this method. Meaning that yes both are true. 

No comments:

Post a Comment