Saturday, September 8, 2012

Depo Provera


Trying to find a difficulty I faced in my life that I wanted to share was extremely challenging. While I was debating my roommate reminded me of something I told her. One difficulty I went through recently was when I got the Birth Control Shot Depo Provera. For plenty of people this shot is harmless and does its intended job. For Me however I got severe side effects.
            The thing with the Depo shot is that once it’s injected into you there is no way to take it out. You have to wait five months for it to run its course. Once it is injected it takes two weeks to take affect. Exactly on the 14th day I randomly got an anxiety attack and began throwing up. For the remaining 3-5 months I had to deal with anxiety issues I never had before. It also made me extremely nauseous and sometimes eating at all would make me vomit. I am an already skinny girl and throughout this time I lost around 14 pounds even though it is supposed to make you gain weight. In addition to all this the imbalance of hormones created yet another problem for me. After seeing several doctors and cardiologists I learned because of this I had developed Atrial Tachycardia. A heart condition that could or could not go away after the shot wears off.
             To me those months were a living hell and even today I do not feel one hundred percent back to normal. But through this I learned to not take the short cut and try the new experimental things. I had heard warnings about the shot but figured it would be much easier then remembering to take a pill everyday. I learned to stick to the proven methods and to never put something in your body that you cannot take out.
            This lesson helps me in college on a small scale but is still important. It just teaches me to be careful about my body and to treat it as best as I can because you only get one life so you shouldn’t make it worse with drugs and whatever else

No comments:

Post a Comment