Monday, October 8, 2012

Comfort Zone


I am not sure if this counts as necessarily counts as pushing myself out of my comfort zone but it is something I usually do not like doing. I asked a few people from my composition class to join me and do a peer editing session outside of class. I really hate sharing my writing but I figured it would help with my assignment and possibly a better grade. Also I figured I could learn a lot just by listening to how others organized their papers and how they put everything together. The difficulty I faced was finding one idea that connects all the articles and to be able to synthesize it into one fluent paper. So I figured I would academically challenge myself and step out of my comfort zone by doing this. At first it really was kind of awkward because I do not like sharing my piece especially if it’s not perfect and done well. But they helped me see the things I was missing and organize it. I did the best I could to help them as well and learned some good techniques and styles from their writing. Despite the initial uncomfortable feeling it went well overall. Now this is not something that I would do all the time but when it is needed and I cannot get a conference with my teacher or a tutor it could work. If there are no other resources available, make new ones. Your peers are here to help you as well, the more people you know and talk to the more people that can help you with an answer or problem when it comes down to it.  Overall I am glad that I did this and in the future will think more about continuing to push myself out of my comfort zone.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment