Thursday, November 1, 2012

Miss Tharp



When I first started reading the book, “The Creative Habit” by Twyla Tharp a few things popped into my head. At first when she was talking about how you need to have a set routine. I agree that practicing your creative habit will improve your performance but the way she described it reminded me a little of OCD. Also some people do not want to do the same thing every morning. That could hinder their creative ability, just because a routine works for you does not mean it works for everybody else. I am not saying that I completely disagree with this because it has validity, yet I just wanted to point out some flaws in this idea.
            One part she talked about was, “In order to be creative you have to know how to prepare to be creative.” (Tharp 9)This goes back to our discussion of the 10,000 hours and whether or not you are naturally gifted. She states that even Mozart worked at his music everyday for hours since he was a small boy. She said, “Whatever scope and grandeur you attach to Mozart’s musical gift, his so-called genius, his discipline and work ethic were its equal.” (Tharp 9) I also believe the part where she discussed cutting out distractions, that will definitely help when doing a project or creative task.
            I really liked the part where she gave us exercises we can do to better ourselves and our creativity. I thought that number 2, “Build up your tolerance for solitude” was very true. Most people need to learn how to be alone and be alone confidently. She said, “Alone is a fact, a condition where no one else is around. Lonely is how you feel about that.” (Tharp 31) I really like that quote because it is completely true. However, the next one tells you to go a week without mirrors, clocks, newspapers and speaking. In this world today that is impossible. How will you get anywhere you need to be if you do not know the time.
            There were many other good points, for example your creative DNA is interesting because everybody has their own DNA or personality to their creativity, what makes them their unique self. Which includes their preference in art, music, dance etc and how they create. Other things I liked about this book was the Your Creative Autobiography, although there is no way I would remember my first creative moment, I don’t remember any of that. Overall the book is somewhat interesting and so far this is what I think about the book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment